用户名: 密码:    
切换为不分页显示
【论坛首页】→ 【学习交流】→ 主题:【双语】Love is the Best Legacy最好的遗产是爱

字体:    回复
【双语】Love is the Best Legacy最好的遗产是爱
applepie(2017/7/19 11:02:31)  点击:40964  回复:0  IP:125.* * *

Love is the Best Legacy
最好的遗产是爱

As a young man, Al was a skilled artist, a potter. He had a wife and two fine sons. One night, his oldest son developed a severe stomachache. Thinking it was only some common intestinal disorder, neither Al nor his wife took the condition very seriously. But the malady was actually acute appendicitis and the boy died suddenly that night.

年轻时, Al就已经是一个技艺精湛的陶艺艺术家了。他有了妻子和两个健壮的儿子。但是一天夜里,他大儿子肚子疼得厉害,他想这也只不过是普通的肠道疾病,就没太在意,他妻子也是这样认为。然而那种病却是急性阑尾炎,这个男孩那天夜里就这么死了。

Knowing the death could have been prevented if he had only realized the seriousness of the situation, Al's emotional health deleriorated under the enormous burden of his guilt. To make matters worse his wife left him a short time later, leaving him alone with his six-year-old younger son. The hurt and pain of the two situations were more than Al could handle, and he turned to alcohol to help him cope. In lime Al became an alcoholic.

如果他那时意识到情况的严重性,孩子的死本来是可以避免的,一想到这些 Al内心就无比愧疚,情绪也一天比一天糟糕。更糟的是,不久他的妻子抛弃了他,把他们6岁的小儿子留给了他。丧子之痛加上妾离之苦让Al无法喘息,他开始斟酒来麻痹自己,最后他成了一个名副其实的酒鬼。

As the alcoholism progressed, Al began to lose everything he possessed-his home, his land, his art objects, everything. Eventually Al died alone in a San Francisco motel room.

就这样喝酒度日,Al慢慢地失去了他所拥有的一切——房子,土地,艺术作品等等,最后孤独地在旧金山的一个汽车旅馆里死去。

When I heard of Al' s death, I reacted with the same disdain the world shows for one who ends his life with nothing material to show for it. "What a complete failure! " I thought. "What a totally wasted life! "

当我听说 Al的死讯时,我的反应和世人一样,都视他没有留下什么财产。"多失败啊!" 我思索着完全没有意义的一生。 "

As time went by, I began to reevaluate my earlier harsh judgment. You see, I knew Al's now adult son, Ernie. He is one of the kindest, most caring, most loving men I have ever known. I watched Ernie with his children and saw the free flow of love between them. I knew that kindness and caring had lo come from somewhere.

随着时间的流逝,我开始重新审视从前我对Al刻薄的评价。你们知道,我认识Al已成年的儿子,Ernie。他是我认识的最善良、懂得关心人、最有爱心的男人了。每每看着他和他的孩子们,我都能感觉到他们之间爱的自然流动。我意识到这种善良和关心一定有所渊源。

I hadn't heard Ernie talk much about his father. It is so hard to defend an alcoholic. One day I worked up my courage to ask him. "I'm really puzzled by something," I said. "I know your father was basically the only one to raise you. What on earth did he do that you became such a special person?"

Ernie很少提及他的父亲,毕竟他就是想为父亲辩驳也很难。一天,我鼓起勇气问了他有些事情让我很疑惑我说道,"我知道事实上可以说是你父亲一个人抚养你成人,但是他是怎样把你培养成这么特别的一个人呢?"

Ernie sat quietly and reflected for a few moments. Then he said, "From my earliest memories as a child until I left home at 18, Al came into my room every night, gave me a kiss and said, 'I love you, son.

Ernie坐在那里沉思了一会,说道从我还是孩子时最早的回忆到 18岁离开家, Al每天晚上都会来到我的房闭,吻我一下然后对我说:‘我爱你,儿子’"。

Tears came to my eyes as I realized what a fool I had been to judge Al as a failure. He had not left any material possessions behind. But he had been a kind loving father, and he left behind one of the finest, most giving men I have ever known.

听到这些,我抑制不住自己,眼泪涌出来了,我认识到自己是多么的愚蠢,居然认为Al是个失败的人。他确实没留下什么物质遗产,但是他曾经是一个很有爱心的父亲,是我认识的最好的、最有爱心的人。

导航:[上一篇下一篇] - [返回]
[本主题共0回复 | 每页显示30回复]

按用户名:  按标题:   按内容:       包括所有回复
【首页】→ 【学习交流】→ 回复:【双语】Love is the Best Legacy最好的遗产是爱
标题:
    未登录!    

内容:
UBB:
匿名:×
专区:×
上传:

我们提供15个国家/地区的留学服务。您可以通过我们免费申请海外的10所大学,但是每个国家最多只能申请8所。免费申请的国家包括:英国 / 澳大利亚 / 新西兰 / 加拿大)。收费申请的国家包括:美国 / 香港 / 澳门 / 新加坡 / 爱尔兰 / 德国 / 荷兰 / 丹麦 / 瑞典 / 西班牙 / 马耳他 。海外大学查找

我们提供英国 / 美国 / 澳大利亚 / 新西兰 / 加拿大 / 爱尔兰的幼儿园,小学,初中,高中的私立学校(也称私校或独立学校)申请。海外私校查找

我们是英国签证移民署授权的顾问,我们提供各类英国签证和移民服务。签证类型和价格

我们的课程辅导补习覆盖英国的小学,初中,高中,大学,以及各类语言,备考,艺术辅导。辅导类型和价格

我们提供英国语言学校以及夏令营的申请服务。 语言学校查找 夏令营查找